NIÑO ENVUELTO (MEXICAN MEATLOAF)
- 1 pound fresh ground meat (pork beef, veal combination)
- 4 tomatillos
- 1/4 medium yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- bouquet garni
- 12 inch x16piece of cheesecloth
- kitchen string
- 2 hardboiled egg peeeled and cut into quarters
- 1 large carrot peeled cut into quarters and cooked
- 1/2 cup peas cooked
- 20 haricot verts cleaned and blanched
- 6 plum tomatoes roasted
- 4 serrano chiles roasted
- Salt to taste
- Blend the tomatillos, onion and garlic using just a little bit of water.
- Incorporate the salsa with the meat, mix and add salt.
- On a wet 12 by 16 inch cheesecloth (or white napkin) spread the meat in one layer, distribuite the egg, carrot, peas and haricot verts.
- Carefully roll up the meat using the cheesecloth, tying it with kitchen string every 4 inches.
- In a large stockpot bring water to a boil add salt, bouquet garni, the rolled up meat and boil for about 30 minutes.
- Take it out of the water, unwrap it and slice into 1 inch pieces.
- In a blender purée the chiles, with a little bit of water, add the tomatoes and blend a little until you get a coarse sauce.
- Add salt to taste.
- Top sliced meat with salsa
- Meat can be served hot or at room temperature.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!