CORDERO EN CHILINDRON (Lamb in Chilindron Sauce)
- 1-1/2 lbs. boneless shoulder or leg of lamb cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (increase to taste)
- 1 large onion chopped (use more if you like onion)
- 4 large red peppers cored, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 cup skinned and chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 pinches of toasted saffron threads or 1 tsp. saffron powder
- 1 chili pepper seeded and chopped (dried chilies work just as well)
- Sprinkle the meat with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or large pan with the garlic cloves.
- Add the meat and fry until evenly browned.
- Remove the meat and set it aside.
- Discard the garlic, if a milder flavor is preferred.
- Add the onion and peppers to the pan and sauté until they start to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, paprika, saffron and chili pepper.
- Return the meat to the pan, cover and cook very gently for about 1 hour or until the meat is tender, adding the olives about 10 minutes before serving.
- If the meat becomes dry during cooking, add a little water, but the dish should contain little liquid.
- Transfer to a heated serving dish and serve immediately.
- Freezes well.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!