Key #3 – Lactobacillus
Lactobacillus bacteria are considered to be a keystone species in the intestinal microbiome. Just as understanding candida is important, so to is understanding the bacteria that are affected by it.
A keystone species is a species that has a disproportionately large effect on its natural environment relative to its abundance. Such species are described as playing a critical role in maintaining the structure of an ecological community, affecting many other organisms in an ecosystem and helping to determine the types and numbers of various other species in the community…Without keystone species, the ecosystem would be dramatically different or cease to exist altogether. (10)
The female genital communities are always totally dominated by Lactobacillus. The dominance of Lactobacillus in the vagina ecosystems is well known and also its ability to keep the stability and resistance of the community against colonizers (11)
While Lactobacilli in the vaginal tissues are not a true “keystone” species, it is the dominant species whose absence means collapse of proper function in the vaginal flora.
Among the many other functions of Lactobacillus species, these are some very important ones:
– Preservation of tight junctions between intestinal cells that prevent leaky gut.
– Regulation of the immune system’s cytokine expression to help control inflammation.
– Regulation of Tregs, the primary immune cells that create immune system tolerance and reduce inflammation.
– Coordination of immune defenses of the gut for protection of mucosal surfaces. (13)
– Prevention and treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (14)
– Competitive exclusion and antimicrobial protection against fungal candida and other pathogens.
– Maintenance of the intestinal barrier by stimulating mucin production and butyrate production.
– Significantly reduce elevated fasting blood glucose and triglyceride levels. (12)
– Induction of nitric oxide synthesis for normal function of the pyloric valve of the stomach and overall digestive function.
– Prevention of dental cavities.
– Lactobacillus species help to recover the age-diminished Nitric Oxide (NO) pathway by synthesis of NO. Nitric oxide helps to ensure cardiovascular and brain health and proper digestive function.
These are just a few of the many functions that Lactobacillus provide for a healthy gut, healthy immune system and overall body health.
These 3 keys to understanding candida form a foundation that over 65,000 studies on PubMed support. They can save a lot of time, money, and frustration when it comes to bringing the body back into an optimal state of health.
Get started today with Dr. McCombs Candida Plan and enjoy a vital, productive, and long life!!!
A. 5 Mistakes To Avoid When Treating Candida – https://www.candidaplan.com/5-mistakes-to-avoid-when-treating-candida/
B. Candida Diets: 8-part Series – https://www.candidaplan.com/candida-diets/
C. Candida and Cancer – https://www.candidaplan.com/candida-cancer-2/
D. Candida and Pregnancy – https://www.candidaplan.com/candida-and-pregnancy/
E. Candida Diet Trip, Tricks, and Hacks – https://www.candidaplan.com/candida-diet-tips-tricks-hacks/
Dr. Jeffrey S. McCombs, DC, is founder of the McCombs Center for Health, the Candida Plan, the Candida Library, and author of Lifeforce, The Everything Candida Book, and The Everything Guide to Autoimmune Diets. Check out our podcast, “The Candida Chronicles” on iTunes and SoundCloud.
Follow us on: